If you have ever set foot in a commercial gym, no doubt you noticed plenty of gym junkies sporting shaker cups full of colorful drinks. Despite what you may think, these are not cordial! These colorful drinks are specially formulated intra-workout supplements known as branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs).
What exactly are branched-chain amino acids or BCAAs? Amino acids are essentially the building blocks of muscle tissue. They are crucial for muscle tissue repair and growth. So, ensuring we get plenty through dietary and supplementary sources is critical for achieving that muscular physique we all desire.
There are many different amino acids that we consume daily through our diet, each playing their own specific role. However, when it comes to triggering muscle growth, there are three amino acids which are a cut above the rest. Specifically, these are leucine, isoleucine, and valine. These three amino acids are referred to as branched-chain amino acids.
The term “branched-chain” comes from their structural formula, where each individual amino acid is bound or “branched” together along with other molecules such as hydrogen and carbon.
This structure is what makes the BCAAs so effective for muscle recovery and growth. The branched structure allows them to be readily absorbed and used by the body within minutes of consumption.
There are numerous benefits of BCAA supplementation. Below we have broken down a list of the key benefits you will notice when you supplement with BCAAs.
- Protein synthesis – BCAA supplementation has been shown to trigger protein synthesis, stimulating muscle tissue growth.
- Glucose homeostasis – BCAA supplementation is also very important for maintaining constant blood sugar levels.
- Reduced muscle soreness – supplementing with BCAAs during exercise can significantly reduce the feeling of muscle soreness.
- Reduced mental fatigue – sipping on BCAAs during your training sessions will help reduce mental fatigue, keeping you feeling fresh and in the zone for the entire workout!
- Muscle sparing – adding BCAAs to your water can also help to preserve muscle tissue, preventing the breakdown which can occur during intense exercise.
As you can see, supplementing with BCAAs has many benefits, all of which can help you reach your goals faster. In a nutshell, supplementing with BCAAs during training will help you push harder, recover faster, and grow stronger!
If you have noticed your workouts are lacking due to fatigue, or it’s taking you several days to fully recover from a big training session, we strongly recommend you try out supplementing with BCAAs during training.
Muscle Club offers a great-tasting cost-effective BCAA supplement that will ensure you are reaching your full potential during training and recovering 100% to come back bigger and stronger for your next session!