Eating for fat loss shouldn’t mean boring, bland dinners that leave you reaching for the biscuit tin. With recipes like this, healthy ingredients combine to make amazingly tasty and satisfying meals. Get creative in the kitchen and your meal prep will be full of flavor, color, and taste.
I make this recipe once a fortnight or so. It’s great as part of my weekly meal prep (I divide it into portions and eat it for lunch on workout days), and it always goes down well as a main meal when I’ve got friends or family over. What’s not to love? It’s healthy, hearty, fresh, and full of flavor.
The brown rice is a low-GI source of healthy gluten-free carbohydrate, and the chicken is a low-fat protein source that absorbs plenty of flavor from the spices. If you want, you could substitute turkey or prawns for the chicken. You can also switch up the vegetables as you get used to making this recipe. It’s very flexible! Alongside the rice and chicken, this dish has plenty of healthy spices (some of which are even thought to give fat loss a helping hand!) and fresh veggies.
Each portion comes in at around 360 calories, with about 25g of protein, 55g of carbohydrate, and under 10g of fats. Exact macros will differ every time you make it, so if you need to be super-precise with your numbers, I would advise you to pop the whole lot into MyFitnessPal and then divide it by the number of portions.
Healthy One-Pot Spicy Chicken And Rice
Prep time 10 mins
Cooking time 35 mins
Dairy-free (if not using Greek yoghurt)
1 large red bell pepper (diced)
1 medium white or red onion (diced)
250g zucchini (diced)
2 garlic cloves (crushed or finely diced)
1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
700ml vegetable or chicken stock
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp chilli flakes or cayenne pepper
300g (dry weight) brown rice
500g chicken breast (chopped into bite-sized chunks)
100g corn (tinned or frozen)
100g peas (frozen or fresh)
1 tsp coconut oil
Fresh basil or parsley to garnish
Optional: Real Greek yoghurt
1. Chop the vegetables, dice the chicken, and drain the sweetcorn if using tinned.
2. Heat a large heavy pan (choose one that has a lid) and add the coconut oil.
3. Add the onions, peppers, and zucchini and gently cook on medium for 5 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the chicken, all spices (except the garnish), and chilli flakes and cook until the chicken is lightly browned.
6. Add the uncooked rice and stir everything through for 30 seconds to coat the rice.
7. Add the chopped tomatoes, peas, corn, and stock and stir everything well.
8. Reduce the heat to low, put the lid on the pan, and simmer for 20 minutes. If the rice needs more liquid, add it slowly.
9. Remove the lid for the final 10 minutes of cooking to reduce the liquid.
10. Check the texture of the rice before serving up, garnishing each serving with fresh herbs. If you want, add a tablespoon of Greek yoghurt on top.
Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!